Thursday, July 26, 2012

Much ado about hair!

So,I cut my hair, got rid of the processed hair,weaves and wigs, then posted it on Facebook in addition to Tweeting it. For those wondering what this has to do with the FAMWZ  New media course, hold your horses, I`ll let you in just now. During the course, we learnt a couple of differences between new media and old media. Those differences suddenly began to make sense as I came to be aware of people`s reaction to my "news"!

First we learnt that new media is different from old media in that it was "us" journos giving them "audiences" our news with little chance of them giving us what they thought of the news or even to add more information to the news. This became apparent as more and more people commented on my post and those who had seen my hairstyle actually gave more information about how the hair looks to those who hadn`t, though I did not post a picture.

Secondly we learnt that new media is in " real time" as opposed to the old way where you had to wait for the  main news at 8pm or tomorrow`s paper to get the latest news. I posted my update just before i left the house, and by the time i got to work 30 minutes later, all my Facebook friends i happen to work with were waiting eagerly to see the new hairdo!

So on the whole, practical things we are learning at the course. As for my hair, we wait to see what happens next!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment