Wednesday, September 19, 2012

As a journalist ,I strive to look at issues in original ways and provide readers and viewers with revelatory information about people and events.
In my case, an assignment that stretched me was a narrative by a headman in Wedza who is now paralyzed as a result of the 2008 political violence.
I might not have tangible results as a journalist but l feel that the moment l tell a story, my work will influence change.
Yes people might say that violence is not good but the moment l bring a voice of someone who has been affected directly I believe it is a wake up call for everyone.
Below is the narrative
A visit to Wedza clearly showed that the effects of the awful torture incidents during the July 2008 presidential election left permanent scars.
The bloody presidential election runoff left a trail of destructions, MDC supporters’ homesteads were destroyed and many people lost their lives.
The Zimbabwean caught up with Isau Matemberere, a headman for Wedza centre who escaped death by a whisker and survived to tell his tail.
72 year old Matemberere who suffered a stroke and lost his cattle said the 2008 experience made him stronger as he was still actively involved in politics.
Narrating his ordeal Matemberere said: "One afternoon on 6 July 2008, I was forcefully summoned to a ZANU-PF rally that was being held at the growth point. When the meeting was about to end around 5.30pm I was instructed to remain behind.
I was then forced into a truck that was loaded with Zanu PF youths who resided in my area. As soon as I got into the car I was told to remove my clothes and my shirt was used to cover my face.
We got to a mining area which I now know as Mhakwe farm where I was dumped in a small dark room.  At the mine I was beaten by more than five men. I thought I would die because they were crushing my head and I was bleeding profusely.
As they were beating me they shouted that I was a traitor, they said nhasi tichakurova kusvika wafa mudhra…today we are going to beat you until you die old man.
I passed out for several hours and when I woke up, I found myself in a room with eight men who were lying in a pool of blood. I recognized 3 men from the group as they resided in my area.
We were holed up in the room for 3 weeks. I went through hell as I was beaten from time to time. During that period when I was captured I fell sick but never got any medication.
I was worried about my family thinking what was happening to them during my absence since l was a target in my area.
The thugs who captured me were ruthless because we would go for days without having food or water.    
On the 27th of July at night I was released and advised to run fast as fast as I could. That was the moment when I was really scared because I thought they wanted to shoot me on the back.
It was too dark and I didn’t know the direction to take but I ran all night. I passed several houses but could not ask for help as I was afraid of bumping into the thugs that had captured me.
I finally got home in the morning and found my family safe.
However I was very sick and never recovered up today. Due pressure and stress, I suffered a stroke.”
The stroke grossly affected the headman as his right hand and leg are now numb. He used to be a builder before the incident but now survives from hands out from well wishers.
Matemberere said currently people were being intimidated in his area though there was no physical violence.


No comments:

Post a Comment