Wednesday, September 19, 2012

the journalist who adds value


By Melody Gwenyambira

As a journalist I have changed the community by adding value to it.
I have touched so many lives in so many ways and I must say I am quite impressed with the work that I have done.
In 2010 I saw a young woman called Sekai Paraffin.
Sekai had her hands and feet amputated because of a disease called gangrene which was spreading in her body.
When I laid my eyes on her, I felt sad. She looked happy and jovial but she was in pain.
Her sister was carrying her and they had asked the bus to come and pick her up at an undersigned area because she could not walk to the bus stop.
I talked to Sekai and she narrated how her life had become unbearable as she was unable to do things for herself.
When the bus came she was carried onto her sister's back and together they struggled to board it.
I vowed that I would do something to make sure that Sekai got the help she so much needed.
Her life in the rural; areas was not a happy story. She had to be put in the scotch-cart for her to go to the clinic which was 25 km away.
When I wrote the story I went a step further and pleaded for Sekai's plight.
Well wishers called and a week later Sekai was moving around in a very beautiful and comfortable wheelchair.
I was even happier when I saw her wheeling herself and smiling.
Sekai had also received some money for her medication and other things she needed.
I had brought positive change into the world and made Sekai's life a happy one.
The positive change that I brought about to the community was commendable.
I was more than happy.
This year in March I covered a story of a woman's body that was being eaten by "unseen" things and flesh was disappearing from her body.
Her body lay in the house and reached decomposition stage.
When it was finally taken to the mortuary and it was not even in a god state and the funeral home dumped the body at her daughter's house.
The daughter did not have any means of burying her mother and she moved herself out of the one roomed house and accommodated herself and her two minor kids in the garden.
I then went for a follow up and when I learnt of the new development, I decided to take action and pleaded for help with the readers.
the response I got was overwhelming.
Kristo Funeral Services embalmed the body and buried the body in a white casket and paid for the grave site.
Nyaradzo Funeral Services provided a hearse and a mini bus that ferried the body and mourners to the graveyard.
More well wishers came in and until now the family is being supported.
These are some of the stories that I have done and as a journalist I have brought about some social changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment